What do British People Call Whipped Cream?

Whipped cream, that fluffy, creamy delight that tops off desserts and adds a touch of indulgence to a cup of hot cocoa, is a beloved treat around the world.

However, like many other culinary items, whipped cream goes by different names in different countries and regions.

In this article, we will explore the terminology used by British people to refer to whipped cream, uncovering the unique and interesting names that are commonly used across the United Kingdom.

In the United States, whipped cream is the term widely used to refer to cream that has been beaten to a light and airy texture, often sweetened with sugar and flavored with vanilla.

However, across the Atlantic in the United Kingdom, whipped cream is known by several different names depending on the region, which can be quite intriguing to those unfamiliar with British culinary lingo.

Double Cream

In the UK, one of the most common terms used to refer to whipped cream is “double cream.” Double cream is a rich, thick cream that contains a high fat content, usually around 48%. It is often used in cooking and baking, as well as for making whipped cream. The name “double cream” comes from the fact that it contains twice the amount of fat as single cream, which has a fat content of around 18%. When double cream is whipped, it becomes thick and luxurious, making it a popular choice for topping desserts and beverages.

Whipping Cream

Another term used in the UK to refer to whipped cream is “whipping cream.” Whipping cream is a slightly lighter cream compared to double cream, with a fat content of around 30%. It is still suitable for whipping, and when beaten, it forms soft peaks that can be used to top desserts and beverages. Whipping cream is often used interchangeably with double cream, depending on the recipe or personal preference.

Clotted Cream

Clotted cream is a thick, indulgent cream that is popular in British cuisine, particularly in the southwest of England. It is made by slowly heating unpasteurized cream until it thickens and forms a layer of clotted cream on top. The thick, creamy layer is then scooped off and used as a spread on scones, as well as a topping for desserts. Clotted cream is not typically used for whipping, as it has a unique texture and flavor that is different from traditional whipped cream.

Devonshire Cream or Devon Cream

Devonshire cream or Devon cream is another term used in the UK to refer to clotted cream. It is particularly associated with the county of Devon in southwestern England, where clotted cream is a regional specialty. Devonshire cream is often served with scones as part of the classic “cream tea,” a traditional British afternoon tea that includes scones, clotted cream, and jam.

Squirty Cream

“Squirty cream” is a colloquial term used in the UK to refer to canned whipped cream that is dispensed through a nozzle. It is a convenient and easy-to-use option for topping desserts and beverages, and it is often used as a fun and playful alternative to homemade whipped cream. Squirty cream is widely available in grocery stores across the UK and is popular for its convenience and versatility.


In conclusion, whipped cream goes by various names in the United Kingdom, each with its own unique characteristics and usage. From double cream and whipping cream, which are commonly used for homemade whipped cream, to clotted cream and Devonshire cream, which are regional specialties with a distinct texture and flavor, to the playful and convenient squirty cream, British people have a range of terms to refer to this beloved treat. Understanding the different names for whipped cream in British culinary culture can be helpful when navigating recipes or ordering desserts in the UK.

It is worth noting that the terminology for whipped cream can vary not only across countries but also across regions within the UK. For example, clotted cream or Devonshire cream may be more commonly used in the southwest of England, while double cream and whipping cream may be more prevalent in other parts of the country. Similarly, squirty cream may be a more casual and colloquial term used in everyday conversations or informal settings.

When using whipped cream in recipes or for topping desserts, it is essential to understand the specific characteristics of the cream being used. Double cream and whipping cream are both suitable for whipping, with double cream being richer and thicker due to its higher fat content. Clotted cream, on the other hand, has a distinct texture and flavor that may not be suitable for all recipes, but is prized for its unique taste and regional heritage.

In addition to its different names and characteristics, whipped cream is also used in various traditional British desserts, such as scones with clotted cream and jam, Eton mess (a dessert made with whipped cream, meringue, and strawberries), and trifle (a layered dessert with sponge cake, fruit, custard, and whipped cream). These desserts are an integral part of British culinary culture and often feature the different types of cream discussed earlier.

In conclusion, whipped cream is a beloved treat in the UK, and the British culinary culture has unique and interesting names for it. From double cream and whipping cream to clotted cream and Devonshire cream, each term has its own characteristics and usage. Understanding the various names and types of cream used in British cuisine can help you navigate recipes, understand regional specialties, and fully appreciate the rich culinary heritage of the UK. So, whether you’re enjoying a classic cream tea or indulging in a dessert topped with squirty cream, you can now appreciate the nuances of British whipped cream terminology.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *